Job Title: Gallery Technician
Salary: $45,000 - $50,000
35 hours per week (full-time, permanent position)
Start Date: April 2017
Deadline for Applications: Friday, March 24, 2017
The Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) is seeking a highly motivated professional to join its team as the Gallery Technician.
Reporting to the Collections Manager, the Gallery Technician will support the OAG’s Curatorial and Collections Management departments with the design, fabrication, installation, and maintenance of in-house, traveling and off-site exhibitions, accessioning artwork, and shipping for exhibitions and artwork related to acquisitions.
The Gallery Technician will play a vital role in exhibition design and implementation and the preservation of the Firestone Collection of Canadian Art and OAG’s Permanent Collection.
The Technician will also be expected to assist various departments (Development, Public Programming and Art Rental and Sales etc.) in terms of special events set-up audio/visual set-up and signage installation.
Main tasks will include:
- Assisting with arrangements relating to the arrival and removal of all exhibits and accompanying material. This will include the unpacking, safe handling and repacking of all incoming loans for display;
- Assisting with arrangements relating to the arrival and removal of all artwork for acquisitions into the collection;
- Installing, de-installing, and maintaining of exhibits, artworks, lighting, graphics, A/V and video equipment and other related material;
- Preparing objects for exhibition, ensuring the objects’ safety, reporting their status and condition, and identifying and correcting any problems with the set-up;
- Maintaining storage and keeping relevant updated inventories;
- Assisting with archival matting and framing;
- Assisting with packing and transportation of artwork in local area, including driving transportation vans/trucks;
- Assisting in procuring materials, monitoring inventories of materials and supplies for the exhibition and collections departments;
- Liaising with staff/contractors to ensure on-site compliance with Health & Safety procedures;
- Assisting with set-up and striking of special events and rental functions. This includes but does not limit your role to: setting up tables, chairs, retractable seating, presentation lighting and audio/visual set up;
- Set up and control of various digital display and signage throughout the building;
- Undertaking any other duties as required by the evolving needs of the job.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Museum Studies or a related field is required;
- Five or more years of related experience preparing museum exhibits and a proven understanding of proper art handling and maintenance of museum objects;
- Knowledge of artist’s materials and the equipment, techniques used in Museum Practices;
- Construct and install museum exhibit structures, design and construction of mounts for artifacts and objects and design and construction of crates, and other elements using a range of materials and tools/equipment. Must be comfortable working with a wide variety of power tools and workshop equipment: table saw, skilsaw, pneumatic tools, router, etc.;
- Basic understanding of audio-video equipment, with the ability to learn new skills with regard to operating and maintaining specialized A/V systems; experience with trouble shooting in a digital environment.
- Ability to analyze situations and troubleshoot problems;
- Database management experience;
- Strong project management skills;
- Good judgment and flexibility;
- Proven ability to work simultaneously on several project timelines;
- Fluency in English is a must, and fluency in French is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team;
- A valid driver's license is required.
The Gallery offers eligible permanent employees the opportunity to participate in a comprehensive group benefit plan.
The Ottawa Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer, and thanks all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply with cover letter and resume to Jennifer Gilliland, Collections and Building Project Manager: email@example.com Please reference the specific job you are applying for.